Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Root Cellar

I have been remiss in sharing with you a HUGE project my husband and sons have undertaken -- that of digging and building a root cellar. In our efforts to live out a more agrarian lifestyle, one of the desires we have is to not only grow much of our own food, but also to find better ways to store it. The root cellar is an ideal solution -- particularly for our large store of potatoes (which typically spoil in the refrigerator by January). This has been a big undertaking due to the hard pan Joe hit at about 5 feet. One jackhammer later, he grows closer to finishing the digging each night. It will be just in time as the kids and I have begun to harvest our "patch" of potatoes. The clock is ticking as we approach nightly frosts!

Josiah drives the tractor to move the dirt to various places on the property which need fill dirt.

Isaac and Isabelle love playing on the dirt "mountain". Check out my daughter's back side!

Isaac having a turn at the mini-excavator. He's just "practicing" for now. Soon ...

You get a better idea of the the root cellar's depth from this picture. From the outside, it will just be a small hump roof and will be barely visible from the gravel driveway. I'll keep you posted on it's progress. We figure, worse comes to worse -- we've got a pool all dug! :)

1 comment:

Jenn said...

What a wonderful way of storing food.... I can't wait to see how it all works for you. I would love to learn more about that.... I think i will google it!!!got to love google..lol