Saturday, September 6, 2008

Getting Over the "Bumpy" Spots

As Isabelle was working on her handstitching while I read aloud from "Little House in the Big Woods", she came to the spot where four quilting squares met up, leaving the material bumpy and a bit unmanageable for little 6 year old hands. She looked up with anxious eyes and said, "Mommy, I need help with this bumpy spot!" I stopped my reading and smiled a big smile at her. I took the "quilt" in my hands and showed her how you have to hold on tight when you come to these "bumpy" sections. Sometimes you even need someone to do it with you or for you. As I was saying this, my heart was gently warmed as I thought of the privilege it is to walk alongside her through her "bumpy" spots. It made me thankful to have these opportune years to
help her through, show her how, and sometimes even do it for her. It was one of those deep and earthy homeschooling moments when joy and satisfaction reign and thankfulness is breathed through every breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! This is exactly what homeschooling is to me as well...when we school our children in the home, we are there to help them through the bumpy spots of life rather than pushing them to do it all on their own... It is a blessing and a joy to walk along side our dear ones as we prepare them for life...a bit more quietly and simply... the moments are so precious ...

I was sharing with someone special this exact idea... you put it so well :)

Love you friend...Many blessings on this day...

coosewoman@hotmail.com