Thursday, May 22, 2008

"A Time to Keep"


I have bought and read and reread a lovely book for Isabelle and I. It is just one of the many Tasha Tudor books which bring a smile to my face and a longing in my heart for the beautiful and simple things in life.

"A Time to Keep" begins with the verse in Ecclesiastes which tells us that "to everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: ... a time to keep." In the book, Tasha shares the precious memories and holidays found within each month of the year. I find myself longing to recreate the pictures in my own mind, in my own family, in my own meager lifetime.

When I read this with Isabelle nestled up next to me, I ask myself those quiet questions, "What am I doing this very day to provide beauty and meaning in my young children's lives?"

I am challenged by the words and the simple messages conveyed in this precious children's book. I believe more then anything our children likely won't remember many specific memories, but instead will remember the "feeling" of home. It's as if a giant bubble surrounds their childhood memories. Is the bubble going to have with it the aura of conflict, discontentment, busy-ness .... or will it be one of peace, joy, comfort, and warmth? I know what I desire and where I believe God wants me to be in regard to this. The hard part is the fine balancing act of creating the atmosphere of beauty and warmth in a world and culture that is pulling and pushing at us from all different sides.

As with everything on this journey -- I am struck with how much of it needs to be PURPOSEFUL. Each spring as I complete another year of parenting and homeschooling, I become somewhat pensive. Have I sought to purposefully create a home worth remembering? Have I set aside my own agenda (ohhh, this is a hard one!) to enjoy this moment with my children? Have I sat and read that book? Have I been willing to put down the hoe and throw the football instead? It's easy to make a list and check off the items (well, for ME it is easy!), but it's not quite so easy to respond in patience and loving kindness to the seemingly little things which all add up to fill that bubble. The smell of a homemade (and possibly even homegrown!) food, the flicker of a candle, the warmth of the fire, the inspiration of flowers (or weeds) brought in by chubby hands with adoration for "Mama".

I'm once again inspired to make home a place of loveliness -- not in the satisfaction of a perfectly placed sofa or chair -- but in the sights, sounds, smells, and feeling that evoke safety and beauty and comfort and ... HOME. Within it -- there is "a time to keep."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these books too... I wish I would have found them when Sarah was a little bit younger...

I think that beauty in the home is what radiates from the heart of the homemaker...it is not so much how she makes her home... but how she lives it out each day.

Purpose is made as we set our hearts to radiate Christ in all we think, do and say... our children will know and feel Christ's beauty through our loving arms around them...where a grace filled spirit abounds... where they are given safety and encouraged to dream and hope in the future.

Yet we cannot be it all for them... we can only be mother :)... growing in grace and love through Christ. In His time and at His rate. There are days when we fail... miserably fail to bring beauty and light and grace into our homes...

I have been feeling and thinking a lot about what you are talking about for a few months now... I believe that it comes down to surrendering all to Him and then purposing to give Him all the Glory through our choice to let Him grow us in grace.

I was reading a chapter in "The Christian's Secret Of A Happy Life" by Hannah Whitall Smith. She likens spiritual growth to a Garden :) ... she discusses the topic of Growth in Chapter 14.

"Put your growing into His hands as completely as you have put all other affairs. Suffer Him to manage it as He Will. Do not concern yourself about it, nor even think of it. Do not, as children do, keep digging up your plants to see if they are growing. Trust the divine husbandman absolutely and always. Accept each moment's dispensation as it comes to you, from His dear hands, as being the needed sunshine or dew for that moment's growth. Say a continual "Yes" to your Father's will..."

Our children and our home are His. He will take care of them... we need only to Trust in His provision and be of utmost cheerful service as we plod, walk or skip along... day by day...growing in the love and grace of Christ.