Saturday, March 21, 2009

First NCFCA Competition

We are pulling out of Couer d'Alene, Idaho as I type this (my first mobile blog post!) after spending 3 days at our first NCFCA (National Christian Forensics and Communications Association) Qualifier Tournament. We went somewhat as spectators to support the members of our Speech/Debate club who could attend and also to allow Josiah to "get his feet wet" and compete in an Impromptu event. Our students rallied and competed valiantly but only a few made it into semi-finals. Unfortunately, Josiah was not one of them. We were small fish in a VERY BIG pond of incredibly gifted and talented speakers and debaters. I want to assure you that the fate of this country is in very good hands based on what I watched and judged. Each of the parents have to judge at least one event. I made the best of my time and judged 7 so that I could get a really good feel for all that goes into a student's preparation in order to compete so capably.

We brought our RV and set up "camp" in the church parking lot which conveniently backed to a quiet neighborhood and had a little playground next to it. While Joe and the younger two played around and in the RV (which involved a lovely little adventure with a plugged potty!) most of the time, Josiah and I participated in either judging, competing, timing, or watching rounds of team policy and Lincoln-Douglas debate, dramatic interpretations, humorous interpretations, original oratories, apologetics, impromptus, and other speech events. What a great experience for all of us! Lord willing, this will be our last trip away from home for a while. I'm anxious to settle my feet, finish our homeschool year with excellence, and of course begin digging in the dirt!

No comments: