On Tuesday mornings, Josiah and I spend an hour discussing what he's learning in his Science text (Apologia Physical Science). Really, this is what it looks like -- Josiah gets comfy and then teaches ME all about his latest discovery in the world of science. While he spouts facts re: atoms, the periodic table, atomic numbers, Bohr models, alpha decays, and the fundamentals of radioactivity (that was this week's lesson), I sit (or most often fold clothes) nearby and try to seem as educated as the letters behind my name say I'm supposed to be. Meanwhile, I ask questions for explanation, make jokes about the names scientists have given things, and constantly come back to my typical question -- "How do they know these things when they can't see them?!" Of course, once a month Josiah has a REAL teacher (a.k.a. Dad - and gets to experience labs, quizzes, questions, experiments and living out some of this stuff he teaches me each week. This is science, homeschool-style, for now -- comfy chair, dark chocolate nearby, and a willing pupil on hand :)
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Science Class
On Tuesday mornings, Josiah and I spend an hour discussing what he's learning in his Science text (Apologia Physical Science). Really, this is what it looks like -- Josiah gets comfy and then teaches ME all about his latest discovery in the world of science. While he spouts facts re: atoms, the periodic table, atomic numbers, Bohr models, alpha decays, and the fundamentals of radioactivity (that was this week's lesson), I sit (or most often fold clothes) nearby and try to seem as educated as the letters behind my name say I'm supposed to be. Meanwhile, I ask questions for explanation, make jokes about the names scientists have given things, and constantly come back to my typical question -- "How do they know these things when they can't see them?!" Of course, once a month Josiah has a REAL teacher (a.k.a. Dad - and gets to experience labs, quizzes, questions, experiments and living out some of this stuff he teaches me each week. This is science, homeschool-style, for now -- comfy chair, dark chocolate nearby, and a willing pupil on hand :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment