Sunday, November 17, 2013

Nineteen

Nineteen years ago, I was getting ready for my first labor experience.  Nine days overdue and as big as a bus, Joe and I tucked that little, second hand car seat into its place in the back seat of our used Honda and headed for the hospital.  Inexperienced and frightened, the nurses started the hospital induction -- my Dr. concerned that a first time Mama shouldn't have such a large baby.  Fifteen hours later, a precious little boy was placed on my belly with wandering eyes and barely a whimper ....

And then, suddenly ...... nineteen years passed.


In the early morning darkness of today, I put the finishing touches on his card and tiptoe out to place his gifts on the pre-set breakfast table -- the one with pretty napkins and the special plate already laid at his place.  And then it hit me ......
This will likely be his last birthday morning at home.  Maybe not, but most likely.
Perhaps the last time we wake him up with singing.  The last time I get to see the look on his face as he opens his gifts.  The last time that I am able to do everything in my power on this very day to make sure he knows that he is special, a gift from God -- a precious, irreplaceable part of my life.

I plan on cherishing it ..... and rejoicing in all the Lord has in store.
Happy Birthday Son.  You are so loved.

1 comment:

Aunt Jenny said...

Happy Birthday to Josiah. You are so right, where does the time go?
It seems even quicker when we live so far apart. And yes when you are "50's" time is measured in days! :)