We went to pick up our turkey chicks from the hatchery a week ago. Here's a picture of some of our little turkeys (the animals, not the children!) in the morning sunshine. They are currently housed in the barn where they can stay warm and dry. Turkeys are definitely different than chickens thus far. They are far more social and far more aggressive (notice each child is holding them with gloves on!). This should make for some interesting photo opportunities as they grow in size : ) As always, this is all an experiment! At $4.50 per chick, we really hope that we can raise them all successfully until butchering in November. Joe and the kids are putting the final touches on the turkey pen currently, although they won't be going into it for at least a month I would imagine. I'm having visions of a delicious turkey dinner ...
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Gobble gobble
We went to pick up our turkey chicks from the hatchery a week ago. Here's a picture of some of our little turkeys (the animals, not the children!) in the morning sunshine. They are currently housed in the barn where they can stay warm and dry. Turkeys are definitely different than chickens thus far. They are far more social and far more aggressive (notice each child is holding them with gloves on!). This should make for some interesting photo opportunities as they grow in size : ) As always, this is all an experiment! At $4.50 per chick, we really hope that we can raise them all successfully until butchering in November. Joe and the kids are putting the final touches on the turkey pen currently, although they won't be going into it for at least a month I would imagine. I'm having visions of a delicious turkey dinner ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I can't wait to see them! Turkey dinner sounds great... you cook, I'll clean up! (Hint Hint) :)
Post a Comment