
I'm ashamed to admit that I have yet to truly teach my boys to cook. They can set the table, do the dishes, cut fruit and vegetables, but cooking a meal from start to finish is something they still leave up to me (or their 7 year old sister!). This is going to change. Remember -- my ultimate job is to work myself out of one. And so ... the cooking lessons begin.

Tonight Isaac learned to read a recipe, crack eggs, handle a hot griddle, measure, pour, mix, ladle, and flip all in one lesson! Undeniably my least independent child, Isaac kept waiting for me to get exasperated by his inabilities. But -- voila!! I had prayed for extreme patience and God was faithful to answer my prayer. Isaac, after a few foiled attempts to get out of the job, rose to the occasion and (I think) perhaps even enjoyed himself making good old-fashioned johnny-cakes (corn meal pancakes).

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship between Isaac and the kitchen! One of my (many) goals for this summer is to teach each child to prepare one full meal from start to finish -- one breakfast AND one lunch AND one dinner. Imagine the possibilities of freedom for me if I can teach them to be capable cooks??!! So many meals to teach ... so little time.
1 comment:
Amen!
I too am thinking along these lines... teach more life skills and let go of my tight reign and share my work load a bit... more time to focus on the important things in life... my children!
Love it!
Post a Comment