Monday, October 22, 2007

Fall cleanup

The Lord has provided a week of beautiful weather in which to do some necessary Autumn cleanup in the yard and outside the house. Today Josiah learned to fastidiously clean the windows. My, how they shine!! I tackled some of the perennials to be pruned in the front garden while Isaac and Isabelle tackled those never-ending weeds in the rocks. There are still the fruit trees to prune as well as those overgrown red twigged Dogwood bushes which I allow to take over through the summer. Joe and I pulled out the tomatoes yesterday and he rototiled. I'm still a sucker for the smell of freshly ground up earth! The herb garden is still full of blooms and I can't believe that I'm still eating the fresh lettuce and peas from my late summer planting. They taste wonderful and I will treasure these fresh grown veggies each day that they linger before Autumn's inevitable hard frost makes its appearance at long last. It will take us several days to complete, but our Autumn cleanup is always a special time for all of us. We put away the outside chairs and firepit last - hopefully after roasting marshmallows one final time. Our 7 1/2 acres demands so much of our time from Spring till now that it is a sort of bittersweet chore to put it all to bed and look forward to more free time to do things inside during those cold winter evenings. I'm hoping to pull out those long neglected quilt squares and get something sewn before I completely forget how! Isabelle and I have also determined to learn to knit! We have the yarn and needles ready, we need only to find a willing teacher?! Of course, there is always work to do in the barn, the field can always use a rototiling, and there are countless trees awaiting the pruning shears. The lavender must be split this year before it takes over, and the raspberries and blackberries will get their haircuts after their leaves have all let go. I love having this space in God's creation to plant and grow and prune my literal garden as well as the true garden which God has placed in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love ur posts
hubby

Anonymous said...

If we lived closer I could teach you how to knit.

Love-
Shari