Winter has been full but delightful. Our Christmas with Josiah home was wonderful. We had three very busy weeks with him but I was careful and purposeful to keep some days blacked out on the calendar when it was JUST US for long days of movies, games, food, and conversation.
We had our second white Christmas in a row and it was lovely. Gone are the days of toys and books and games under the tree. This year's presents involved technology, needed clothes, and fewer gifts all around, but everyone was happy and thankful and our morning together was blessed!
The entire month of December was filled with music -- choir practices at our home were a joy as 60-75 church family members crowded into our gathering room to fill the house with song. Isabelle played in the church orchestra as well as enjoyed a time of Christmas music with her fellow violin students early in the month.
The kids and I enjoyed a few lunches out during Josiah's visit, including at least one at our favorite little bistro "Robin's Nest" where they know our names and anticipate our orders upon walking in. Here my two young men are enjoying the annoyance of their Mom snapping pictures of them :-)
Favorite meals, candlelight, fires in the fireplace, soothing music, and regular attention given to Advent and the meaning of Christmas helped this season's focus to be all that I had hoped for.
We flewJosiah back to Virginia in early January. I was fortunate to travel with him and help to get him started well in his second semester of law school at Liberty University (laundry done, home deep cleaned, freezer and pantry filled, etc.). He is driven and focused this semester as he has several personal and academic goals he is working toward. Once home from my long return trip (28 hours, 5 airports, and one 4 1/2 hour hotel stay later), it was time for the skiing/snowboarding season to begin!! Isaac and Isabelle have looked forward to this for a year and they weren't disappointed!
Every Friday, this is my view out of the lodge windows as I work on projects while they take lessons and spend the day in the snow. (I happily retired from skiing about 10 years ago and am thankful for the warmth of the lodge as well as hours of free time to visit and veg).
Also this month, we got to experience a unique trauma. Isabelle had an accident with her curling iron one morning and burned 1/3 of her cornea requiring immediate attention from our ophthalmologist, several days of Dr. visits, lots of eye drops, ointment, and antibiotics (not to mention pain and trauma -- "Mom, I KNOW it burned my eyeball because I heard it sizzle!!" --- ugh!) Thankfully, those days are behind us and it appears that no permanent damage has been done. Ahem .... but, just so you know, Isabelle's opted to use hot rollers for the foreseeable future, thank you very much!
The rest of January has been fairly quiet. Joe is regularly snoring by 8:30 p.m. and has enjoyed a slower pace, watching "Waltons" reruns with Sis and I, helping Isaac with Chemistry (well, maybe the word "enjoyed" in regard to this is a bit of a stretch ....), and working on the world's HARDEST puzzle! I've been able to accomplish several home projects and am still working on getting our photo albums in order prior to the yard and gardens calling my name. In my mind, February is the start of spring (growing up in southern California has ruined me!) so I had better get moving to finish them well!
But before I go, I should share that Isaac is working hard to finish well his senior year. He has several challenging classes but is putting forth valiant effort. He received his acceptance to Northwest Nazarene University here in our town (and Joe/my alma mater) where he plans to pursue a degree in the Computer Science field. My kiddos are growing up!! It's an exciting time and also filled with a great need to be on my knees in prayer for the hearts and lives of my children. God is good!












No comments:
Post a Comment