Friday, October 5, 2012

3-2-1 Blastoff!


Well -- after 12 days of living on a low/no-iodine diet (look that one up -- it's harder than you might think!), and two consecutive days of receiving Thyrogen injections .... this morning I will drive to the Nuclear Medicine department of a nearby hospital and ingest approximately 50 milli-curies of radioactive iodine.  The thought is that any remaining thyroid cancer which might be left in my body will then, after being starved of the iodine which it seeks out, will attach itself to the iodine radiation and be killed off.  
During this time, (approximately 3 days), I will be highly radioactive and will need to stay 6 feet away from any living thing.  For some, this means a 3 day hospital stay .... but I've chosen to live alone in my basement for 3 days instead (it's FAR cheaper and the accommodations are ever so much nicer!).  My stack of movies and table full of projects is ready!! My sweet daughter will have to deliver my meals to the top of the stairs (she's already written out menus for me) and call down when they are ready.  I will miss her hugs but am anxious to get through this next hurdle and begin life anew.... as a cancer survivor.
Thank you for your prayers!  God is abundantly ABLE to do immeasurably more than we could ever think to ask .... I am trusting in Him today and for all my days ahead.

3 comments:

tulip said...

Praying for you, dear friend, that the Lord will continue to sustain you with His grace and courage. Continue to lean on Him as never before and know that all of us who care for you are supporting you with our love and prayers. Blessings!

Michael, Trisha, Grace, and Anna said...

Oh my. There would be a lot of "teaching moments" from God to me if I were in your situation. So good to hear you are pressing through with His peace. Continually praying for health!!

Heather said...

It has been a long time since I've last frequented your blog, and I am certain that it was God's nudging that has brought me back. I too have had a total thyroidectomy and am constantly undergoing bloodwork and taking thyroid replacement medication. I am so thankful that you were given the chance to take care of this situation in a timely manner. I will be praying much as I go about my day.

Stay strong in Him, Kristi. Blessings to you!