It's been a beautiful day where those whom I love and who love me right back, have celebrated my life and truly made me feel special. Thank you. I haven't felt too contemplative about this whole mid-life thing. I've been so blessed ... I just feel incredibly, overwhelmingly ... grateful.
Grateful for life. Grateful for grace and mercy extended to me daily by my Savior. Grateful for forgiveness. Grateful for someone who loves me each and every day in spite of my wrinkles, my flaws of character, my very daily struggle with being human. I'm grateful for the incredible gift of children and the awesome opportunity to spend just about every waking minute walking alongside them in learning and loving and laughing and growing.
In forty years I've learned:
- the older I get, the less I know.
- that over and over God removes people from our lives in order to draw us closer to Himself.
- that good health is a gift beyond measure ... and should never be taken for granted.
- that life is fragile, easily taken in the swiftest of moments. Enjoy it. Revel in it. Cherish each moment as a gift from God.
- that being "busy at home" (Titus 2:3-5) is the best kind of busy.
- that pleasing my husband through my daily choices brings me the greatest joy in life.
- that "setting my mind on things above" (Col. 3:2) and "giving thanks in all circumstances" (1Thess. 5:16-18) is truly the key to all happiness while here on this earth.
- that I can choose to be right or I can choose to be happy. I used to choose the first one. I'm learning to choose the second.
- that the Bible is a road map, a handbook, a guide to every aspect of life. It is my greatest consoler and surest friend.
- that relationships that stand the test of time (and sin) are more precious than pure gold and should be handled with great loving care.
- that children are God's gift given specifically to keep us on our knees before Him.
I am blessed beyond measure. No, my life isn't perfect. Sometimes I'm grumpy. Often I just don't want to cook : ) Frequently I struggle with being more of a "Martha" than a "Mary". People sometimes dislike me just because of the way I live my life. I can err on the side of being stern rather than gentle and kind. My need for order can be debilitating at times. I am human. Just a regular person with regular struggles. But ... I am also forgiven and hold fast to the promise of my salvation through Jesus Christ my Lord (1 John 1:9). He is merciful, keeps no record of wrongs, and loves at all times (1 Cor. 13). This was and is and will always be the greatest gift I could possibly receive.
I'm finally forty. I wouldn't go back. I'm happy to be right here, right now. There's so much to look forward to ........



1 comment:
Praying that you had a FABULOUS birthday!!
Post a Comment